CVU Travel Soccer Additional Information
The Fall Soccer Season (U11 - U18/U19) begins with CVU's Travel Preseason Camp in the last week of July and runs through early to mid-November. The Spring Season (U11 - U15) starts mid-February and ends by Memorial Day in May. Seasons may be extended slightly due to the possibility of weather related cancellations and rescheduled games. Some tournaments may take place outside of regular season times.
CVU Travel teams are the highest level of competitive play. As such, a tryout is required for any player interested in joining a team. All players are asked to register online and pay the tryout fee before attending a session. This includes new and returning players. Tryouts for the Fall season typically occur mid to late May.
Tryout participants are evaluated by CVU coaches and technical directors. Placement of players is based on tryout evaluations which includes player skill, commitment level, and attitude. Historical performance may also be considered for returning players. Families and players are notified by email if they have been invited to join a CVU Premier White Team or a CVU Classic Red team. The amount of teams and players accepted in a given season depends upon quantity of coaches and the amount of quality players to tryout.
2019-2020 Season Costs:
U16 - U18/U19 Premier Teams | $805 (Includes CVU Labor Day Tournament, CCL Adidas Festival, VA Beach Columbus tournament, and CCL Winter Showcase)
U11 - U15 Premier Teams | $1,120 (Includes CVU Labor Day Tournament, CCL Adidas Festival, VA Beach Columbus tournament,and generally 1-2 tournaments in the Spring)
U16 - U18/U19 Classic Teams | $520(Includes CVU Labor Day Tournament and CCL Winter Showcase)
U11 - U15 Classic Teams | $820 (Includes CVU Labor Day Tournament, option of Valley FC's Fall Kickoff, and possible tournmanet in the Spring)
Tournaments are a fun and challenging part of the travel soccer experience. The number and type of tournaments that players participate in will depend on their team and play level. All CVU Travel teams participate in the CVU Battle of the 7 Hills Labor Day Tournament. Our Premier Teams typically participate in at least one additional tournament for the season. Classic Teams have additional opportunities to participate in tournaments on a team by team basis. Tournament entries are made at the discretion of the CVU Executive Director Raymond Ford with input from the team coach. Depending on the event location and schedule, tournaments may require overnight stays in hotels.
CVU will participate in the following tournaments for the 2019-2020 Season:
CVU Battle of the 7 Hills Labor Day Tournament | Aug 31 - Sept 1 at the CVU Complex
CCL Adidas Festival | Sept 21 - Sept 22 at the River City Sportsplex in Midlothian, VA
Bach FC Columbus Day Tournament | Oct 12 - 13 in Virginia Beach, VA
Valley AFC Fall Kickoff Classic | Dates TBA at the Vinyard East Soccer Complex in Roanoke, VA
CCL Winter Showcase | Feb 2 - Feb 4 at the River City Sportsplex in Midlothian, VA
- Players are expected to attend all training sessions. Teams generally meet twice a week.
- Each player is required to bring their own ball and water to training. Shinguards and soccer socks are required. No jewelry is permitted on players during training.
- Coaches put significant time and energy into planning training sessions therefore, as a matter of respect to our coaches and players, any absence or tardiness should be reported to coaches at least 24 hours in advance of a session. Please be aware that absences and tardiness from training are a valid cause for limiting game day playing time (at coaches discretion).
- Parents are not permitted to be involved in training sessions or to communicate to their children unless there is an urgent need.
In addition to CVU Staff, coaches, and coaching assistants, team managers play a critical role in the administration of our travel teams. Team mangers are an appointed parent that acts as a go between for coaches, parents, and CVU staff. Each team will have a manager that disseminates information to parents and is available to provide information about upcoming schedules and events. Managers have the responsibility of keeping up with the team binder that contains rosters, player passes, and required medical forms. These binders are particularly important during tournaments.
Our CVU families and parents have a vital supporting role in making each season a success for their own players, the team, and the club. We often look to families to provide help when volunteers are needed whether it be for special events or other CVU activities. Families and parents are asked to please be mindful of the following to build the foundation for a great season:
- Have your player on time to training sessions and pre-game warm ups
- Communicate with coaches and team managers about any absences as early as possible
- Ensure that your player regularly eats, stays hydrated, and rests sufficiently
- Allow the players to focus on enjoying the game and developing their skills by providing as little distraction from the sidelines as possible. Outside of clapping and a few words of encouragement, please refrain from commenting on the games. Any interaction with officials or opponents is unwarranted, reflects poorly on the club, embarrasses our players and other spectators, and may be cause for removal from the field or a delay/forfeiture of a match.